Friday, March 25, 2011

Britney Spears Wanted To 'Experiment' On Femme Fatale

'I really wanted to play with my voice and change up my sound,' she tells Rolling Stone.
By Jocelyn Vena


Britney Spears in the "Hold It Against Me" video
Photo: Jive

When Britney Spears started planning Femme Fatale, there was no doubt in her mind that she wanted to take her time and make something incredibly different from anything she's previously released.

In a chat with Rolling Stone, the singer said she thinks she accomplished what she set out to do: "make a fresh-sounding album for the clubs or something that you play in your car when you're going out at night that gets you excited."

"I wanted it to sound different from everything else out right now," she told the mag. "I also wanted to experiment with all the different types of music I love, which is why you hear a mixture of pop, hip-hop and dance throughout the album. I also really wanted to play with my voice and change up my sound here and there, which was really fun."

Her first two singles certainly fit that bill. "Hold It Against Me" and "Till the World Ends" are sexy dance jams that are just a taste of what the album is about. "I really didn't want to record anything on this album that could be mistaken for anyone else out there. I think my first two singles, 'Hold It Against Me' and 'Till the World Ends,' sound completely different from anything else," she said. "And I think when my fans hear the rest of Femme Fatale, they'll see how fresh every song is."

On the album, Spears worked with longtime collaborators Dr. Luke and Max Martin, but she also hooked up with will.i.am on the song "Big Fat Bass." "The Peas make incredibly catchy, fun pop/dance records and I love will.i.am's style," she raved. "I have always wanted to do a song with him and would love to work with him more in the future. He is so interesting."

Like Spears, Luke wanted to push the boundaries for this album, and Spears described her "picky" attitude toward choosing songs, knowing that she wanted it to be "unique" from the other tracks on the radio.

"I only wanted songs that I immediately connected to. I also wanted to make sure that this album was completely different from Circus or anything else I had ever recorded," she said. "I love Circus, but I wanted something darker and edgier. I also wanted to make an album and didn't want to just record a bunch of songs and put them together. I think Femme Fatale is really connected from start to finish."

Are you looking forward to Britney's new music? Let us know in the comments!

Related Artists

Evangeline Lilly Lisa Marie Keira Knightley Monica Keena Anne Marie Kortright

No comments:

Post a Comment